Thursday, March 13, 2014

16 Months

Each month that flies by, each milestone achieved, each laugh, each smile, reminds me of what a blessing and honor it is to be a mom!  I can't believe I have been so richly blessed for 16 months! Crazy how fast it goes by.

Emma now talks in full sentences, loves helping take the dogs out, is obsessed with cats and VeggieTales, and is learning how to water and care for flowers.  We are going to plant a garden this year and Emma will be able to help out!  I am super excited for this!  I'll admit that I have been a somewhat less-than-enthusiastic gardener in the past.  Wishing to do something, anything, other than pull weeds, water, and pick the veggies when ripe.  This year though, I look forward to those tasks as I will be doing them with my precious daughter in tow.  Teaching her how to help keep the veggies alive and growing, so we can one day pick them and enjoy them for lunch or dinner.

In a way, gardening is somewhat like being a parent.  We plant seeds of joy, hope, love, respect, and wonder in our children's hearts.  Then, we must be sure to water those seeds, cultivate and nurture them in order for them to grow.  We give our time, love, effort and all our hearts into parenthood, feeding our babies, clothing them, washing them, nurturing them, disciplining them.  If we get lax on any of these tasks, if we forget to water the seeds, our children will wilt.  The weight of the world will crush their souls, and extinguish the bright light of hope they carry.

Never forget to hug your babies, never forget to tell them, and tell them often, how very much they are loved.  Show them you care by being there for them, spending time with them, doing each task, yes, even picking up the toys in the living room or scrubbing toilets, with a happy heart, so that they may feel and see how much they are wanted, loved and cherished.  Do not skimp on the love, but don't forget to discipline either.  This also must be done in love and with patience and careful thought and prayer.  No, it is not easy.  I know it is tough to not raise your voice in anger and frustration.  I am working, day by day, and altering my initial response from frustrated tones, to a more loving and gentle response.  Being a mom makes me strive to be a better person. I fail miserably most days, but at least I am trying.

Knowing that I would not be a mom were it not for Gods grace and His work through Alison, I am humbled all over again.  I truly am in awe of the wonderful gift we have been given.  16 months with Emma, 16 glorious months of loving, caring for and nurturing, our precious little one, and it still feels like we brought her home only yesterday.  I love each day more than the last and am loving the age of discovery she is in!  Each day she finds something else to be in awe over.  It is so wonderful to be able to see how the world looks through my daughters eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment