Friday, February 6, 2015

Letting Go Of Pinterest Perfection

I love Pinterest! It is so awesome! All the ideas for arts, and crafts, and birthday party planning, just so cool! It is also the bane of my existence. I loathe browsing it, even as I get so excited to start my search for the next project to attempt, and ultimately fail at. Don't get me wrong, I have sorta, kinda, basically, succeeded in a few projects I found there. But what I see posted, and what I end up with are so vastly different that I am left feeling underwhelmed and disheartened. Knowing that I am not great at those types of things, yet still wanting so badly to be the quintessential "Pinterest mom," I pushed myself for the past two years to do as much as possible. If I simply tried hard enough I could be that mom, right? After all, all my sisters and friends with kids were posting their amazing skills,why should I be any different? Ha! That struggle left me feeling so inadequate, and forgetting what I AM good at. The things that God gave me talent in are not found on Pinterest. They are not highlighted in FB posts, or Instagram photos. No, the things I am good at are unique to me and are not even remotely Pinterest/FB/Instagram worthy. And that is okay. It is okay that the only handmade clothing item she will ever get from me is no-sew tutu's. It is okay that I cant bake cakes that look like they came from a fancy cake shop. It is okay that her birthdays will not be lavish and have extremely well planned games/activities/etc. It is also okay that I am not good at arts and crafts and, therefore, she will not do a tone of them when I am home. I have decided to let go of being the perfect Pinterest mom, and focus on being a godly one. One centered in the love and grace of the Holy Spirit. One that remembers and embraces the gifts I have that my daughter actually needs. The gifts God gave me knowing that they were the perfect ones for the child He chose to be mine. I am by no means a perfect mother, but I am also not a bad one. I have a wonderful child, the most precious gift from God I could ever imagine receiving, and I want her to have a mom that is happy and focused on her ultimate well-being, not distracted by trying to be something she is not. Ahhhh, the relief of losing that feeling like I had to try so hard to be like those around me. A great weight lifted from my shoulders the day I decided to let that go. My daughter has benefited, and so have I, in so many ways! That's not to say that I wont turn to Pinterest now and then for some inspiration, just that I wont be obsessed with trying to do it all and be everything Pinterest, and sometimes the outside world, thinks I should be. If you are one of those blessed with all the talent and creative abilities seen on Pinterest, awesome! You are an inspiration!! If you are like me, and have as much creative talent as a box of rocks, take heart! There is more to being a mom then being able to sew outfits, bake cakes, or do crafts. Relearn YOU and what YOU are good at. Do those things and focus on being a mom after Gods heart, and you will be a happier, more centered mom. So, goodbye Pinterest/FB/Instagram worthy perfection, and hello to heaven worthy, messy, motherhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment